KEMS (Kink Education Minimum Standards) is a set of ethical standards for kink instructors. It has two parts:
- The code of conduct sets expectations for how instructors should behave.
- The mandatory disclosures give students the information they need to find instructors who are aligned with their values.
KEMS is short and simple: most instructors should be able to read and adopt it in less than 10 minutes.
Code of Conduct
As an ethical instructor:
- I model visibly excellent consent in my classes. more
- I practice robust consent in my personal life. more
- I create an accessible and inclusive classroom environment. more
- I maintain appropriate boundaries with my students. more
- I do not use coercion to prevent anyone from sharing information about me. more
I disclose every time in the last 10 years that I:
- Was convicted of any sexual or violent crime. more
- Was the subject of any type of restraining order. more
- Was banned from a venue, organization, or event. more
- Was banned from teaching at a venue or event. more
- Used coercion to prevent anyone from sharing information about me. more
Adopting KEMS is easy:
- Read and follow the code of conduct.
- If none of the disclosures apply to you, add this to your instructor profile: “I’ve adopted the KEMS code of conduct and have nothing to disclose.”
- If any of the disclosures do apply to you, here’s what to do next.
Need help interpreting KEMS? Check out the FAQ.
Not convinced? Here are 3 reasons you should use KEMS.