KEMS is still a work in progress. We’d love to hear your feedback on it, but it isn’t ready to adopt yet.
KEMS (Kink Education Minimum Standards) is a set of ethical standards for kink instructors. It has two parts:
- The code of conduct sets expectations for how instructors should behave.
- The mandatory disclosures give students the information they need to find instructors who are aligned with their values.
KEMS is short and simple: most instructors should be able to read and adopt it in less than 10 minutes.
Code of Conduct
As an ethical instructor:
- I model visibly excellent consent in my classes.
- I practice robust consent in my personal life.
- I create an accessible and inclusive classroom environment.
- I maintain appropriate boundaries with my students.
- I do not use coercion to prevent anyone from sharing information about me.
I disclose every time in the last 10 years that I:
- Was convicted of any non-consensual sexual or violent crime.
- Was the subject of any type of restraining order.
- Was banned from a venue, organization, or event.
- Was banned from teaching at a venue or event.
- Used coercion to prevent anyone from sharing information about me.
Adopting KEMS is easy:
- Read and follow the code of conduct.
- If none of the disclosures apply to you, add this to your instructor profile: “I’ve adopted the KEMS code of conduct and have nothing to disclose.”
- If any of the disclosures do apply to you, here’s what to do next.
Need help interpreting KEMS? Check out the FAQ.
Why should you bother with KEMS? Here are three reasons.